Gwen the Square Foot Gardener
Hi! With the kind guidance of some friends, Mom decided our family would try a square foot garden this year. I'm excited to get this garden going! Let me tell you how it' s done.
And I guess Mom stopped taking pictures, so I'll have to explain the rest. There is a ground covering, then the frame on top, then the dirt inside, and then the plants inside the dirt. We planted quite a few of the vegetables we started from seed. They look a little spindly, but with some sun and rain, we're hoping for the best. By the end of the summer we want to eat beans, tomatoes, butternut squash, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, onions, bell peppers and cucumbers from the garden. Yum! I'll keep you posted on the progress of the garden.
Dad used his tools and put the frame together. Our garden is 4 feet by 4 feet...that makes 16 squares to plant in.
Now grab a shovel because it's time to mix the special garden dirt.
The recipe is 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite, and 1/3 compost (we're using cow manure and some organic compost stuff).
Mix it up really well.
If it gets too dusty while it's being mixed, spray it down.
Wow, the dirt feels nice. This is looking really good!
And I guess Mom stopped taking pictures, so I'll have to explain the rest. There is a ground covering, then the frame on top, then the dirt inside, and then the plants inside the dirt. We planted quite a few of the vegetables we started from seed. They look a little spindly, but with some sun and rain, we're hoping for the best. By the end of the summer we want to eat beans, tomatoes, butternut squash, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, onions, bell peppers and cucumbers from the garden. Yum! I'll keep you posted on the progress of the garden.Labels: Gwen Outside, Gwen Speaks, Toddler Gwen, Yard and Garden







0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home